RECYCLE DURING THE HOLIDAYS!
This time of year, Kansans generate more waste than any other time, as we open presents, host parties and take down trees and decorations.
KOR encourages you to make an effort to recycle all you can during this time of year. Here are some helpful tips for the season:
* Keep all recyclables clean. Remember to wash and squash before putting in the recycling bin.
* Flatten boxes and remove any plastic inserts (which are also recycleable!)
* Any unwanted gifts or clothing can be donated to a local charity.
* Recycle your used batteries. Purchase rechargeable batteries.
Wrapping Paper & Packaging
* Fold used wrapping paper rather than scrunching it in. This helps you fit more in your recycle bin.
* Make sure the paper is clean and dry.
* Take styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap to a local packing or shipping store. Many will take the packaging. You can also store it for your future use and gift giving.
* Need some drawers lined? Just use leftover wrapping paper!
* There is aluminum in a lot of items - foil, pie tins, food trays, etc. These can all be recycled (if clean)
* Most communities have designated places to take your real Christmas tree. Take it to this location instead of dumping it in an unwanted location.
* Cut up your tree and use it in your garden or backyard as a bird feeder and sanctuary. This also provides birds a central location to visit in your yard.
* Mulch: the tree is biodegradable, if it is chipped and stripped.
* DO NOT burn your tree in a fire or fireplace.